I’ve been a busy little bee, testing 2 crochet pattern back to back. Of course I can’t share any of those yet since the patterns are not released, but I’ve found some time to update my temperature cross stitch over the weekend.
I’m still few days off from being completely up to date but since I haven’t written anything here for a month I figured I might as well post a progress picture.
You can see the temperature dropped a bit as soon as Australia hit the autumn months. The day time is still quite warm but there’s definitely a chill in the mornings and evenings. Can’t wait till winter is here so I can use the crocheted items I did for test!
After the op shop adventure on Saturday, I made my way to Spotlight yesterday because I needed a hand sewing machine to sew the crocheted cushion covers on the cushions. Of course I left with more stuff than that.
Instead of leaving with one thing, I left with 15 balls of yarn, 2 aidas, floss wider and organiser box, and new floss. Because I’m a terrible human being who just can’t stop buying more for the stash.
Spent a couple of hours winding up the old DMC that I’ve had for years before adding new stuff. Now I know why people wind their floss, it’s satisfying to look at.
Also decided to use black fabric for the next small project and the lesson here is, I need better lighting in the room for black cloth stitching.
And in case you didn’t pick it from there floss box picture, I finished the floor rug yesterday. Still need to get some anti slip mat for it but it’s too pretty to not go on the floor now.
Went op shopping this morning and boy did I find some goodies! Got a whole new range of op shops now that I’ve moved to a new location. Scored some pretty sweet stuff this morning.
This lap table. The floor rug is getting bigger since it’s almost done and it’s been overheating my legs a lot since it’s super hot in QLD at the moment. This is not keeping the rug off my legs and has the added benefit of easy removal when I need to move when keeping everything together. Just fantastic!
Also scored some cotton and yarn, as well as crochet hooks. Been meaning to try doily making so the threads will get some use soon. And a relica milk jug thing since I’m collection country looking goods for my lovely little home.
This bunch of threads for $4. Some of them are the same colour so I guess my doilies could grow big when I get to it.
Best find of the day. This was brand new in box for $15. I’ve been thinking about buying one of them and finding one at a quarter of the price is just wonderful. Now I can stitch with both hands!
So between finishing the move, getting the craft room together and running out of data on the phone when internet at home is getting connected, lots of things have happened.
Craft chair and little table are moved in and my big desk will get set up this weekend.
Internet is finally connected at home!
Starting making placemats for my first ever dining table. Keen eye will see that this is based on the heart to heart afghan that I previously did.
Got some Spotty mill ends in cakes. These feel nicer than the Caron Cake I was previously given and these are getting turned into a ottoman cover.
This is the old ottoman I’ve had for a while. It’s pretty beat up since the cats like to scratch it. Making a C2C cover for the whole thing. Top is already done just need to make the sides now.
Since I’m running out of time to finish the mandala madness for my friend’s birthday, I’ve decided to make cushions for her instead. Instead of making covers and use inserts, I bought some navy blue cushions and made front panels to sew them on. Turned out pretty well!
Finally almost 2 months complete for the temperature cross stitch. It’s been hot in Brisbane!
It’s been a month since I got keys to our first home, and I’ve completed the first month of the temperature cross stitch. The idea is to record the daily average temperature from the day of settlement (16 Dec 2016) to the first anniversary (15 Dec 2017) and have it framed and put on the living room wall. I know crocheters do temperature blankets every year but frankly I have too many blanket CALs planned as it is and I don’t have enough beds to put them on! So framed cross stitch it became.
Every week I visit BOM and copy down the min/max temperature, then use a spreasheet to average it out, and use conditional formatting to automatically have the colour filled in once the average temp is calculated. Once a month I stitch in the colours, then use white to divide the months and also fill in the days where the month is not 31 days long.
The design for the rest of the stitch is still up in the air, there will be a legend for the colours and the temperature range they refer to, the months will be below each column (maybe), and the words similar to “First Year in our First Home” above the graph. I’m thinking about designing a wooden frame chart to go around the coloured months but that may not work out as well if I want the months below the colour columns so maybe that will change to a border of some sort.
I haven’t cross stitched for months since I’ve learnt how to crochet but today I decided to pick up a needle again. I’ve always loved to watch the pattern starting to emerge with the colours, even though it’s very slow progress. It’ll probably take me months to get this bear done.